How I made this site

From ThorstensHome
Revision as of 02:21, 31 March 2020 by ThorstenStaerk (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

To create this site, I used the wonderful software of mediawiki. Then, I got a cousin to draw the wonderful logo. My site has been on PhpNuke before. On 1st of july, 2006, I went over to mediawiki. I had to lock the system against users registering themselves, and I block anonymous page edits. How I did this, can be found at


Comparing PhpNuke and MediaWiki

Advantages of Mediawiki

  • easier to install
  • no unexplainable errors so it does not change an article
  • no more worrying what is a section and what a category
  • no more author X supported by Y - version history instead
  • "my patches for phpnuke" - can link it from "About this site" and from "Programming"
  • no more untranslated stuff(don't know how this could happen)
  • developed by a community
  • answers to your questions,e.g.on #mediawiki

Advantages of PhpNuke

  • statistics which browsers on which OS went onto the page
  • easy rating of articles
  • aims at being a homepage generator
  • easy backup, "Backup button" is there



Yes, foo/bar now yields a navigation link to "foo". But then, the title names become very long. My_Tutorials/Programming_Tutorials/C_Programming_Tutorial/How_to_simulate_a_keypress is not what you want as a title! So, I should set$wgRestrictDisplayTitle to false, but my mediawiki version is too old for this. So I slightly modified $IP/includes/CoreParserFunctions.php and it works now. For the most impressive example, see

Facebook plugIn

I want my readers to be able to post facebook comments about my pages. I had to update the mediawiki software before, read how I did it.


Images did not scale with the screen size, so I developed and installed adaptivethumb.